The Burbank Public Library welcomes children to come and use our library. Our staff serves children by answering questions, assisting in the search for good books to read, providing materials to complete homework assignments and presenting special programs designed to encourage reading and using the library. However, it is the responsibility of parents and guardians to ensure their children’s safety, welfare and appropriate behavior while in the Library and on Library grounds. Library staff is not responsible for the direct supervision, safety or welfare of any child. Accordingly, if any of the situations below are encountered, an attempt will be made to contact the parent/caregiver. If we are unsuccessful in this attempt the child will be considered abandoned, and the Burbank Police Department will be contacted to place the child in temporary protective custody.
For the purpose of this policy:
The term “unattended” shall mean not in the immediate company of a responsible adult or caregiver over the age of 14, other than library staff.
The term “adult” or “caregiver” shall refer to individuals over the age of 14.
The term “supervision” shall mean to closely watch over and ensure children follow the Library Rules of Behavior.
- Children under the age of nine (9) years old must be accompanied by a caregiver over the age of fourteen (14). The caregiver is responsible for the behavior and supervision of children in their care while at the library.
- Children under the age of nine (9) years may not use the public internet computers unless a parent is present at the terminal with them, as outlined in our library internet use policy.
- Parents/caregivers are required at all library story times and programs unless otherwise specified by library staff.
- If the children’s room and adult areas are separate or on separate floors, the parent must stay with the child.
- Children ages nine (9) and up may visit the library unattended, but should not be left unsupervised for extended periods of time.
- At closing time if a child under the age of twelve (12) is left unattended, an attempt will be made to contact the parent/caregiver. If we are unsuccessful in this attempt the child will be considered abandoned, and the Burbank Police Department will be contacted to place the child in temporary protective custody.